Whenever your gas furnace is on, carbon monoxide is being created. However, there is no reason to worry. It is a natural by-product of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is operating properly, it is carefully deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is stored inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely forced through the flue vent to the outdoors. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a consequence of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Breathing in too much carbon monoxide blocks the body from using oxygen and can damage the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can injure anyone exposed to the gas, it is notably risky for people with existing lung or heart issues, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and maintain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s almost impossible to notice carbon monoxide is gathering in your home. You may not be aware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by professionals, you should have it looked at. The experts at Northglenn Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. can make sure your blower motor is installed correctly and that they don’t see any flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can accrue if there are problems in those spaces.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Regular maintenance is the best action to take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly maintenance appointment, our professionals will clean your system and examine it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a good idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally checked as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A blockage of airflow caused by a dusty filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to regularly check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s recommendation.
5. Always count on professionals to fix your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be a serious threat, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few precautions. You’ll always have the experts at Northglenn Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. in Northglenn behind you to help, too. Give us a call at 303-452-4146 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.